On the 12th May 1945 a little book called The Three Railway Engines was published. It was written by Reverend Wilbert Vere Awdry, an Anglican cleric and railway enthusiast and was based on tales he’d made up for his son Christopher as the boy recovered from measles.Â Â His second bookÂ introduced the little steam train Thomas the Tank Engine. In May 2020 we celebrate 75 years of this series of books which have captured children’s hearts worldwide.
Lorne House and its semi-detached neighbouring property, Glenavon, were built in 1876 by a branch of the quarry owning Pictor family, whose more affluent relatives built Fogleigh House and Rudloe Park Hotel. Originally both Lorne House and Glenavon were much smaller properties, just two-up and two-down, forming only the fronts of the present properties.